Pages

Friday, 1 April 2016

Vogue 100: A Century of Style

This has to be the exhibition of the year for me. The exhibition held at the National Portrait Gallery is full of the most amazing iconic fashion photographs during the last 100 years of Vogue. The collection is huge and ranges from Charlie Chaplin, Kate Moss and Jean Shrimpton to name but a few.



It's hard to choose favourites as there are so many amazing photographers from David Bailey, Cecil Beaton, Helmut Newton , Lee Miller to name but a few. I was so taken away by this collection that I splashed out and bought the book. Here are a few of my favourites across the decades.


The elegance in this photo of tennis player Helen Willis Moody taken in June 1927 is striking. I love that Vogue shone a torch on such strong successful women. Helen Willis Moody didn't lose a single shot at Wimbledon. Photographed by Dorothy Wilding.

 
"Where there's a will, there's  waist"
 I will never tire of seeing this beautiful photo taken by Horst in 1939.

 
Home defence in Hampstead,1941. I have fallen in love with Lee Millers surrealist photographs and this led me to the wonderful Lee Miller exhibition currently at the Imperial War Museum. (blog post to follow).

 
Adele Collins, "In the manner of Van Dangen" by Norman Parkinson,1959. The soft out of focus approach is in the style of Van Dangen paintings. I am drawn to this woman's eyes even against the boldness of the Red hat and lipstick. Beautiful.

 
 To be honest there were so amazing 1960's photographs that I hadn't seen before it was impossible to choose. But Grace Coddington and Jean Shrimpton are two of my 60's idols. Photographed by David Bailey, 1966. I would wear all of those coats today.

 
"Limelight nights", 1973. Don't you just want to be at that party! Grace Coddington styled this photograph with Helmut Newton . Models: Karin Fedderson, Uva Barden and Barbera Carrera with Grace Coddington.

 
"Under Weston eyes" by Bruce Weber, 1982. Those eyes!

 
Girl crush of the 90's! I confess to changing my hair colour in line with Linda Evangelista including this colour. Photographed by Patrick Demarchelier, 1991.


What appeals to me about reading Vogue is although the styling and photographs are stunning and very creative they still make the clothes relevant and I can imagine wearing this stunning shirt with jeans. Cara Delevigne photographed by Glen Luchford, 2012.


We collect Vogue magazines in our house and they make lovely birthday gifts. I found this 1998 copy of Vogue for my daughters 16th birthday.


 
Bed time reading!
 
 There really is a fantastic array of fashion related exhibitions in London at the moment. Next on my list is the

No comments:

Post a Comment