Pages

Monday, 9 March 2015

A Visit to Hebden Bridge



Saturday brought some Spring sunshine with it and left the perfect day for a wander around Hebden Bridge. I had the great excuse to visit as I had won a skirt in a Facebook competition from the lovely handmade clothes range 'I Am Lucille'. Set amongst the Pennine valley the drive over there from Ilkley is always beautiful. Hebden Bridge is full of creativity and always seems to have a buzz about the place. From musicians busking, puppet masters performing and friendly folk campaigning it is brimmed with individuality and personality. The town has managed to hold onto a large array of independent shops which adds to the character and interest of the town. I can't help wishing Ilkley could recapture some of this independent spirit which is slowly disappearing with the invasion of high street retailers.

 
Parking in the town is a big issue and you can never find a space. Mark and I ended up parking quite far out of town and walking along the Rochdale canal which was very pleasant but if you shopped here regularly I think it would drive you mad! (Surely there is a need for a park and ride scheme ? ...end of tiny moan...)

 
 
I loved the look of 'The Crafty Snail Studio' narrow boat where the young and old can go and be creative and learn how to make things, from felting, printing and mosaic workshops. What a lovely setting for some arty fun. I wish I had known about this when my children were younger as it would be a lovely birthday party venue. http://www.craftsafloat.com/

.
 
 Sadly due to the lovely weather the town was very busy so a quick coffee stop at Muse Music and the Love Café wasn't possible. But if you love your music whilst having a leisurely coffee it's a great pit stop. A place where you can find your favourite Vinyl and CD's and sit and the watch the world go by, well Hebden Bridge at least !http://www.musemusicandlovecafe.co.uk/

  Welcome!
(Photo taken from:http://www.musemusicandlovecafe.co.uk/)
 
 
 Down to the real purpose of the visit. Lucy and the Caterpillar vintage shop and the label 'I am Lucille'. One of the things I am enjoying on my journey into vintage is finding new places to shop and meeting new people. I visited this shop last year and I absolutely love it and the owner Lucy Conran. It is a small boutique set upstairs in the Hebden Bridge Mill packed full of vintage clothing, from the 1920's to 80's. Her stock is varied and pleasantly not all on the tiny size which I am finding is often the case with a lot of vintage clothing shops. Last year I bought a 1960's tartan dress here and it is has been one of my most loved Winter wardrobe pieces. Lucy is very friendly and you are made to feel very welcome and comfortable to browse. Today was not my vintage shopping day so I came away empty vintage handed but I'll be back.
 

 
Actually that's a lie, I didn't come away empty handed as I collected my handmade tweed skirt from the 'I Love Lucille ' range. I never win competitions and was thrilled to find out I had one of these skirts in a like and share competition last month. The clothes are vintage inspired, made to measure with the Made In Britain ethos behind it too. Very fitting when you consider Hebden Bridge's rich textile history.  It was clearly a bad windy hair day when we took this photo but you can see how lovely the tweed skirt looks with my grey and black boots from Clinkards (2014).  I am determined to have a smarter vintage inspired dog walking dress code for Autumn 2015 and this skirt will fit in very nicely thank you!


 
For more information about the I am Lucille range visit:
http://iamlucille.co.uk/
https://www.etsy.com/shop/IAMLUCILLE 
http://lucyandthecaterpillarboutique.co.uk/


If all that was not enough to tempt you to take a vintage inspired trip to Hebden Bridge then maybe The Burlesque Festival might! April 30th-3rd May. 


 
Lili Scala by Neil Kendall
(Photo taken from:http://www.hebdenbridgeburlesquefestival.co.uk/page_2764919.html)
 
Kiki Deville by My Boudoir
 A chance to listen to Kiki Deville, Winner of the Vintage Personality of the Year 2014, along with live swing, jazz and rocker billy music. Pick up some vintage hair and beauty tips from the winner of Manchesters' vintage styling awards 2012 and 2013, Bethany Joe Davies.
 
The festival programme sounds fun and will certainly be a visual extravaganza. Go on why not try it!
 
Thanks for dropping by x

No comments:

Post a Comment