Pages

Thursday, 5 February 2015

Vintage shopping in Haworth

   
 
There is something very relaxing and calming about walking around Haworth and taking in all the Bronte history. I love wandering down the cobbled street in search of a good vintage find. The perfect afternoon trip for a cold miserable Tuesday afternoon in January.

 
Sadly it was not our day as the majority of the shops were closed, I suspect due to shop keepers taking the opportunity for a break during the colder months but very disappointing all the same. Luckily two of my favourite shops were open so all was not lost!
 
The Souk
Don't be deceived by this small fronted shop, it is full to the brim with vintage clothing, shoes, handbags and jewellery. If you love 1940's fashion you will be particularly happy here. I fell in love with some bright red Mary Jane shoes but they were far too small for my size 7 feet!
 

 
Next stop Rose & Co Apothecary
Step back in time in this beautiful old style apothecary shop. There is something for everybody here from sweet scented bath products, mens toiletries mixed with vintage glass chemists jars lined up on dark wood shelving .http://www.rose-apothecary.co.uk/our_shops.html
 
 
I treated myself to a new book "Vintage handbags" by Marnie Fogg which has some beautiful photographs and will come in handy for research whilst working on allaboutevevintage.com
 
 
 
There is a small clothes shop at the back of the store with a good selection of 1940's and 1950's retro styled dresses, lingerie, jewellery and handbags.  The shop carries some reputable labels including Stop Staring, Bettie Page, Tara Starlet and Vivien of Holloway, all of which are good quality but on the pricey side, perfect for those special occasions. Sadly this was closed too! 
 
 
One of my favourite books is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte which is probably why I love spending time in Haworth, you get a sense of the Bronte sisters lives whilst walking through the graveyard and taking in the Bronte museum exhibits. My eldest daughter also loves books and has started collecting vinyl records. Haworth has some good vintage/second hand shops but these were also closed, much to her disappointment and my purses relief. There is a theme to this post!
 
  
 
At the bottom of the cobbled street you stumble across Oh La La Vintage shop. We had to settle with peering through the pretty vintage window as this is only open Wednesday-Sunday. I love this shop, set on two floors it carries a wide range of eras, from 1980's disco to pretty 1950's party dresses. The kind of shop you could happily lose a few hours .http://www.ohlalavintage.co.uk/default.html
 
 
After talking about the lack of vintage around Bradford city, it is reassuring to see the smaller towns on the outskirts embracing vintage. Haworth holds an annual 1940's weekend and every year I say I'm going to go but end up missing it. This year it's already in our diary, 15th -17th May and I'm really looking forward to it. Live jive music, swing dance classes,  vintage cars and fashion, what's not to love. From the photos I've seen it looks a colourful vintage affair!
 
 
 
Top tip. Don't visit Haworth on a cold Tuesday in January but it's well worth a vintage shop and at least I have a good excuse to re-visit soon.
 
 
 

1 comment: