Pages

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Vintage 'Shopping Local' in Otley


 
I am beginning my vintage journey in Otley, West Yorkshire, to see what I can find right on our door step. I have lived in Ilkley all of my life (yawn..) and although only a few miles away am afraid to say I have never really taken any interest in shopping in Otley, until now! There is something about market towns that I enjoy, it always seems full of life and very friendly. The two shops that I enjoyed the most today were no exception.
 
Welcome to Rummage!
 
The shop owner Jane was very cheery and immediately told us there was a 50% sale off everything today, what's not to love about that! I was drawn to some cute 1960's twin set skirt and cardigans and they had a great collection of 1950's -80's shoes, sadly not my size. My favourite purchase of the day here was a bright Red 1960's Kangol hat which I absolutely love. As with many second hand/vintage clothes shops you do have to be prepared to look at rails and rails of stock with an open mind don't be shy get talking to the shop staff. There was a huge range of stock right up to 1990's clothes so something for all ages and tastes. I will definitely return to Rummage and would recommend you pay them a visit too.  

New Kangol hat £5
Rummage, 3-5 Manor Square, Otley, LS21 3AP. 0113 274 4500

My second recommendation would be to visit The Music Box and rediscover buying vinyl. I bought Mark a turn table last year and it has been well used and loved by all the family. I love catching one of the kids flicking through the records to choose something and am positively encouraging them to start their own collection. I am sure I am not alone in kicking myself for throwing out all my old vinyl during a house move once...hangs head in shame. The owner is again very friendly and clearly passionate about his music and records. I am exploring rockabilly music at the moment and trying to widen my music horizons so he gladly gave me some recommendations, two of which I bought along with Elvis Presley's first album. It really is the kind of shop you could lose hours in and don't be put off by the barred windows, it's worth a visit.




The Music Box, 9 Newmarket, Otley, LS21 3AE, 01943 466710
 
 
 
Happy vintage shopping x
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Time to take a trip to Otley by the looks of things! Thanks for the vintage tour, will definitely go next time I'm home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Kickcan & Conkers, we'll have to go when you're over x

    ReplyDelete